|. Tan-y-Grisiau .|
The Festiniog Railway was built in 1836 in order to serve the slate quarrying industry around Blaenau Ffestiniog. After operating for some years as a horse-worked tramway, it introduced steam power in the early 1860's. With the engineering skills of the Spooner family it was quickly in the forefront of technical development on a narrow gauge. This culminated in the introduction of the double-boiler Fairlie locomotives in 1870.
This model depicts one of the intermediate stations in the heyday of the line in the 1880's. Many modelling techniques have been used to achieve the desired results. The trackwork is laid with individual cast white metal chairs. These represent both the rectangular chairs introduced in 1872 and the curved "S" pattern chairs which preceded them. Locomotives are scratchbuilt from brass, with split frame chassis and Portescap motors. Most of the rolling stock has been built up from etched brass and whitemetal kits and runs on correct 6 spoke wheels.
The distinctive dry stone walls have been laboriously built up from small pieces of shale, held together with PVA glue. Most of the slate washed cottages have been cast in plaster, with the stone texture scribed into the surface after the plaster has dried. Artists' water colours are then used to give the slate effect.
Published by Chris MacKenzie for the
Virtual Narrow Gauge Model Railway Exhibition
This page not in a frame? Go to www.ngrail.co.uk