|. Caher Patrick .|
Caher Patrick - Charles Insley
Caher Patrick (Cathair Padraig) is a station on the narrow gauge West Mayo section of the CIE (Coras Iompair Eireann), the Irish Railways Board. The West Mayo Railway was originally formed in 1886 as the Westport and Louisburgh Tramway, and sought to capitalise on the pilgrim traffic to Croagh Patrick.
In 1987 the tramway was incorporated into a far larger undertaking, the West Mayo Railway, which extended from Lecanvey, just outside Westport, via Leenane, Caher Patrick and Moyard to Clifden, forty miles away in wild and sparsely populated Connermara. The railway linked Westport and Clifden by train, until then only possible by travelling half-way across Ireland to Athlone and changing trains.
After 1922 the West Mayo Railway, like all of the Irish railway companies, was incorporated into the Great Southern Railway, and later nationalised as part of the CIE. Like its neighbour to the South, the West Clare Railway, the West Mayo Railway just survived into the 1960's, before succumbing to the car and lorry. Meanwhile the railway had acquired locomotives and stock from several other defunct Irish narrow gauge railways, including the Cavan & Leitrim, the Tralee & Dingle and the County Donegal railways.
The model represents the railway in its twilight years, the late 1950's and early 1960's. It is built to 3mm/foot scale, running on a track of 9mm, or 'N' gauge - thus representing 3' gauge.
Published by Chris MacKenzie for the
Virtual Narrow Gauge Model Railway Exhibition
This page not in a frame? Go to www.ngrail.co.uk